Thursday, January 8, 2009

Great Find at the Good Will

 

I hit up my local Good Will this afternoon. This particular store is one of their boutique shops. Which to me just means higher prices.

 

Even before the money problems began plaguing my family I have been a faithful thrift store shopper. I have always collected vintage items. Mostly vintage textiles but anything that looks good to me I might buy depending on how much cash I have on hand.

So today I started rummaging through a table drawer that held gloves and scarves. I noticed that some of the gloves were priced $2.99. I found two different pairs of vintage gloves. I had to dig around to find their mates and when I did there was no price tag. Now I almost always put something back when there is no price sticker. I have found that the clerks over price items when they see someone is interested in them. And $2.99 is way to expensive even for a vintage pair of gloves.

Any way today I held on to the gloves and started rummaging through the drawer with the scarves.  I figured I ask the clerk when I was ready to pay and if the gloves were $2.99 I would just put them back.

I couldn't believe it when I found a couple of vintage hankies in with the scarves. I almost never find vintage hankies and if I do they are almost $5 a piece.

Again no price. So I pick out five hankies and stack them on top of the gloves and go look around the store. Nothing else caught my eye and I was low on cash any way.

vintagefinds_sm

I always have to check out the books. So I head over to the book case. This store being a boutique does not stock much in the book department. And I had been there last week but ya never know what ya might find so  I started glancing at the titles. I found a great book full of wildflower plates.

I'm done once I find the book and I head to the register. I must say that I have noticed in the past month or two the thrift stores are crowded like never before. I have been thrift shopping in this town for almost 18 years and the stores have never had this much traffic.  Needless to say there is a line at the register and I let a women go ahead of me because I knew the clerk was going to have to go ask someone the price on the gloves and the hankies. He rings her up and I explain the lack of prices and he goes off to find the one with the power to set prices. After a few moments he comes back and starts tapping numbers on the register and I see $2.99 glowing. I start to say I don't want the gloves if they are $2.99 but he realizes this and says. The price is for everything. YEAH!!! I think.

Do you have any great thrift store scores? Leave me a comment!

Thanks for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment